Sunday, April 6, 2008

Dedication

This blog will be dedicated to the preservation of our family’s homestead and family fellowship. Each owner from the very beginning has put their mark on this house in one way or another. My main objective with any remodels is to preserve while still updating to make it safe, and comfortable. It’s hard with anything like this that you’ve been entrusted with to add a few of your little touches here and there without change occurring. I just hope that overall you’ll agree that the changes made for the overall preservation and safety of the house will add to its character. Besides, no one can ever change the sweet memories we’ve had here over the years. My earliest recollections of the farm include going consistently to “Grandmother’s house” every third Sunday of the month after church to eat with her. She always had the kitchen door open when weather permitted and the aroma of fried chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans would drift through the screen door and out to the barnyard gate awaiting us as we drove up. She then would shower us with compliments of our shiny hair and Sunday clothes. After lunch, Pen and I thought it great fun to wash dishes in Grandmother’s sink (before we knew any better) before we would make a bee line to Jr’s to play with Linda, Carol and Mary Beth.

I think we all have great memories to share so write in the comments section of a most memorable time at Hilacres Farm.

4 comments:

Val said...

Oh Deb....I just love this! I sat and read every bit of Grandmother's letters this morning - I am going to start reading her journals from the beginning on my next visit. This is a wonderful thing you've started here and I am learning things I never knew about our family.

Thanks so much for keeping our family history alive for future generations. We come from amazing stock, don't we?

Much love,
Val

Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie and dear all,

When I think of Grandmother, like you, Debbie, the first images that come to mind are of the kitchen - mostly Grandmother, Martha Jean and my mother Joanne, and sometimes Mary Louise or others, hovering around the table serving or offering seconds or thirds, cooking or cleaning up - while keeping up an endless, lively conversation. (I have many fond memories of the other aunts and uncles, but more so in other rooms or places.).

There always seemed to be cake in the long cake pan. My favorite was white with a light almond icing (Margie gave me the recipe but I've lost it). She could whip them up in 10 minutes - with the help of a box for the cake itself, but it was just as delicious as from scratch. Eggs and bacon or ham, for breakfast or supper, never smelled or tasted as good to me as in her kitchen. When my mother was around, there would also be salt-risen toast (an acquired taste I'm not sure if anyone else ever acquired). Grandmother's favorite part of the meat, like mine, was the fat - combined with the meat of course. And those farm suppers - sometimes as early as 4:30 pm - usually with her homemade applesauce, big red juicy tomatoes and yummy squash from her garden for starters - usually vegetarian and I don't remember the bread - maybe someone can remind me.

Another main image for me is Grandmother and a small me standing at the sink telling stories of what we saw in the clouds - her idea. What a lovely thing for her to do and a lovely memory. And how could anyone forget her full, beautiful laugh. She seemed to laugh with her whole body, her whole heart and soul (like Margie's now!), and was quite a songbird, too. I remember Jotta Jotta Jing Jing Jing......

This is merely scratching the surface - and just of the kitchen, and others could fill in much, much more and I hope they're not too shy to.

Much love,

Suzanne

Libby said...

Debbie, This is so great! All these memories. So thankful to have lived on this farm, and to have the family I have. i love you all. Libby

Anonymous said...

I remember all the fun times. Playing "Capture the Flag", Hide & Seek". Rolling down the hill into a large pile of leaves. Even one time we had this barrel that we thought would be great to roll down the hill where the Easter lillies grown. Well I think I was too chicken as usual. Either Steve ,Larry, or both jumped in and down they went. Well after watching them I knew that was not for me.

I always loved putting up the hay. when I was little Dad put up haystacks. There was always someone tromping down the hay around the stack that had a pole in the middle. It kept getting smaller and smaller near the top. i can remember I had to be apart of it and Dad would lay the long pitchfork against the stack and try and coax me down that pitchfork. Riding on the hay wagon was the most fun. Don't get me wrong it was hot, hard work. If there was time a walk up to the Grand Daddy Hole to swim always cooled us down. Always a leach or two on our legs as we walked down the road. We would always be passed Rapps before we spotted them. Uck! those blood suckers!

Mom told us last week that when Dad built our house there was no electricity to it, and it wasn't hooked up till after the house was finished. Up to two years after. That white chais lounge was in our kitchen for many years.

Spending the night in the cellar loft was always fun when the cousins came to the farm. I always enjoyed breakfast at Grandmothers.
It was a treat. Her chocolate cake was my favorite. So moist and heavy. Great taste! I know there is so much more, and all of them happy memories! Libby